Founded by Chris Vorster, Southern Business School (SBS) first opened its doors to 38 students in 1996 and today, its numbers have grown to more than 11 000 students from across Africa, including citizens of South Africa, Namibia, Lesotho, Swaziland, Botswana and Zimbabwe. Throughout the years, the institution focuses on its principles of quality, affordability, recognition and customer service in offering accredited higher education through distance learning. With these business values underpinning all of its actions and decisions, the business school has created successful leaders in both the private and public sectors. Southern Business School is passionate about 'creating leaders' - leaders who consider their future and who will be able to effectively and meaningfully contribute to the development of the economies of Africa leading to job creation, social upliftment, wealth and prosperity. The institution offers formal qualifications in management, business and commerce, law and policing and has three academic schools, namely the School of Business and Economics, the School of Safety in Society and the School of Law.
The Centre for Management and Leadership Development (CMLD) is an organisational unit within Southern Business School that offers a wide range of short courses and development programmes tailored for both the private and public sectors. CMLD is dedicated to offering students a superb, flexible and accommodating learning experience by keeping students at the focus of all their attentions. Although the CMLD office is located in Gauteng (Krugersdorp area), it operates nationally, geared to deliver training (short courses and management development programmes) in all parts of the continent.
Southern Business School offers:
- Affordable programmes accredited by the Council on Higher Education (CHE).
- International recognition.
- Examination venues countrywide in South Africa and Namibia, as well as several other international venues.
- A well-stocked library on-campus with online resources, national and international journals, and approximately 135,000 e-books.
- Internal quality assurance processes and regular peer reviews to ensure the relevance and quality of all the courses we offer.
- Opportunities for students to study at their convenience through distance learning, ensuring their education fits in with their lifestyle.
- Qualifications that endorsed by the South African Board for People Practices (SABPP), Project Management South Africa (PMSA), Financial Services Board (FSB) and National Treasury (NT).
The principles of Southern Business School and CMLD provide a solid foundation for year-on-year growth in student numbers and continued improvement of the overall learning experience. At Southern Business School we stay committed to providing and encouraging lifelong learning in our students so that they are able to emerge as thoughtful, confident graduates who can contribute to the economic and social development of Africa.